November 28, 2014

five friday favorites #8: week of nov. 28, 2014

Happy Black Friday! Once again, I'm shopping from the comfort of my home, which isn't a Friday Favorite, but it could be ... until I get my credit card statement, of course.

1. Serial
About a month ago, my sister told me that I should be listening to Serial, this new podcast offshoot of This American Life. Last Friday night, I finally got around to listening to the first episode. Around noon on Saturday, I finished up episode 9, which is as far as the podcast goes so far. I am obsessed. 

Serial is the story of Adnan Syed, who was convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend in 1999. Host Sarah Koenig unpacks the story little by little each week, and each week, my opinion of Adnan's guilt or innocence shifts a bit.

Serial is a huge hit, and if you're not listening yet, you definitely should be.

2. Slate's Serial Spoiler Specials 
Serial wasn't new this week because of Thanksgiving, so I went in search of something to fill the Serial void ... and I found this. Each week, following the release of the latest Serial episode, Slate puts out a podcast about the episode. Generally, they stick solely to what has been revealed on Serial, but this week, they put out a special "extra spoilery" edition where they talk about some of the extra information and theories you can find online. Soooooo interesting! At one point (and this is about to get just a tad spoilery for you who aren't listening to Serial yet), they put out this alternate theory about who could have killed Hae that made perfect sense ... until it hit me that Jay knew where the car was parked, so this other theory doesn't work for that reason. I feel like I could discuss Serial for hours, so I love that Slate is bringing me a discussion podcast.

3. Decorating for Christmas
I used to be one of those people who didn't decorate until after Thanksgiving. Not so anymore. I spent most of last Saturday decorating my house--while listening to Serial. (Normally, I watch a Christmas movie or listen to Christmas music, not listen to a podcast about murder. But in this case, I think it was a good change!)
I decided to display my Christmas dishes this year because I normally forget about them and don't use them at all during the season. So far, it's been working!

Of course, if you have animals in the house, decorating is a bit risky. For example, this is what happened last year:
So far this year, Isis has been wreaking the most havoc, though Skaara is the only one to actually climb into the tree (that I know of ...), and nothing has been broken yet. Hopefully, everything will survive!


4. Time with Family
Thanksgiving is often a great time to see family. Blendy came home early Wednesday morning, and we were able to spend a lot of time together. I introduced her to Serial, she hung out with my cats, we decorated Mom's Christmas tree (while watching D2: The Mighty Ducks, thus continuing my streak of decorating with entertainment that's decidedly un-Christmasy), and we watched tons of Food Network.
Isis is never happier than when Blendy is home.

Tonight, we had Ritta Thanksgiving, and everyone except Val & Greg made it. (They're the only ones not currently living in the state.) I had so much fun! Of course, it reiterated just how terrible of a Dutch Blitz player I am, but I had loads of fun in the losing :-)

My brother and sister-in-law arrived at my parents' house a couple hours prior to Ritta Thanksgiving, and somehow, Andrew and I ended up playing a ridiculous game with a ball and tennis racket. It reminded me of the games we would make up at my grandma's house when we were kids. And basically, we're lucky we didn't break anything ...
This video doesn't show too much, but I tossed the ball to him, and he tried to smack me with it. And it was a blast.

5. Standing Desk
A couple months ago, I read an article about how bad it is to sit at a desk for eight hours a day. For quite some time, I'd been having lower back pain that radiated into the back of my left leg, so I decided to give standing a shot. I rigged up my desk like this:
It wasn't pretty, but it worked. The last time I had leg pain like I previously described was sometime during the first week of standing, so standing is definitely worth it. I decided that I would keep standing for the foreseeable future. Then about a week ago, my boss told me to go ahead and order myself a real standing desk. Once it came, I had to assemble it ... which wasn't a problem, as assembling furniture is one of my favorite things to do!
Then our computer guy helped me get everything moved and situated just like I wanted it. I still have to clean out my old desk, and we need to figure out where to put the things I had in my desk drawers, but basically, it's good to go. I'm so happy to have this desk!

What things are you enjoying this week? Be sure to check out the other favorites in the linkups at A Little Bit of Everything and Housewife Glamour, too!

2 comments:

  1. I use a standing desk as well! I made a makeshift one from my father's old bedside studying table. Works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to "meet" another stander! Some of the people in my office think I'm a little crazy :-) But I'd say the benefits outweigh the odd looks!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...