December 4, 2008

it's beginning to sound a lot like christmas

The Christmas season is upon us once again, and I've switched into my annual "Christmas music only" mode. With that in mind, I thought I'd repost this, which I wrote last year when I was still blogging over on MySpace . . .

Contrary to what retailers want you to believe, the Christmas season does not begin on Nov. 1. There is a holiday between Halloween and Christmas, and it drives me nuts that Thanksgiving is overlooked. When I go shopping in early November, do I want to hear Christmas music being pumped through the store? NO! But once the day after Thanksgiving rolls around, I believe in no-holds-barred, 24/7 Christmas music!

So, in the spirit of the season, I offer my picks for the best (and worst) in Christmas music:
  • Best album: 3-way tie--Michael W. Smith's Christmastime and It's A Wonderful Christmas and Amy Grant's Home for Christmas
  • Best concert: Jim Brickman. He's amazing, and he introduced me to David Klinkenberg's music. 'Nuff said.
  • Classic song: "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby
  • Best Christmas pageant: Little Christmas Lamb. Just ask my sisters.
  • Happy "I want to be home for Christmas" song: "Christmas In Nebraska" by Mulberry Lane (the link takes you to YouTube--lame video, but you can hear the song.)
  • Song I can't help but sing along to: "Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano
  • Song that makes me snicker because of how fitting the title is: "Baby It's Cold Outside" by Nick Lachey & Jessica Simpson
  • Hymn: "Angels We Have Heard On High"
  • Most overplayed: "Carol of the Bells"--and it's sad because I love it. But it's everywhere!
  • Best children's album: Disney's Merry Christmas Carols. My grandma had this on tape, and sadly, it's not on cd.
  • Best Candlelight Service song: "Silent Night"

Am I forgetting anything? What's your favorite Christmas song?

5 comments:

  1. There's a new "12 Days of Christmas" parody that's being played on the radio by this group called Straight No Chaser. You should look it up. I think you'd like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Straight No Chaser! Someone sent my mom the link to their "12 Days of Christmas" YouTube video last year, and we got hooked. I even bought her their farewell concert dvd from like 1998. I had no idea they were on the radio, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're forgetting that Christmas starts in September now. I saw a display of ornaments in Wal-Mart over Labor Day Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the great ideas for where to find good music.
    Looking forward to seeing you in the tree on the 13th.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My current fav Christmas album is Rose of Bethlehem by Selah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...