November 13, 2008

discovering treasures

A few months ago, my parents went wild cleaning their basement. The basement was my home for a year after I graduated from college, and when I moved out, I didn't exactly take all my things with me. So, while they were cleaning, my dad took the liberty of packing up two boxes of stuff and depositing the boxes in my car. I lugged them up the stairs to my apartment and promptly shoved them in a closet. About a week ago, I decided I should look through them. About half the stuff in the boxes isn't mine (and, therefore, will be returned to Dad's basement) . . . but the stuff that is mine is pretty interesting!

One box was full of books. Most of the books are rather boring--old grammar books, textbooks, etc. But I also found this book:

I read Shadows Along the Ice in junior high. My siblings mocked me mercilessly . . . and judging by the cover, I can see why! They called it Shadows Along the Joe, though, because Ice looks suspiciously like Joe.

Another box contained some of my college stuff--my honor and Alpha Chi cords, an issue of the Sounding Board (my college newspaper), and some financial aid papers.

And then I saw it--something that made me stop and reminisce. Before I tell you what it is, though, I need to give you a little background info. Jodi and I transferred to Grace at the same time, and we were roommates our first semester. Like any friends, we had our ups and downs, but Jodi got to know me better than anyone, save perhaps my sister. I think it's because we were so different. I've always been very surface-level (I credit it to my personality type, ISTJ--Jodi also introduced me to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator!), and Jodi pushed me to dig deeper. I had deeper conversations with her when we were in college than I've had with anyone else before or since . . . although she probably wouldn't call our conversations deep at all!

In the 4 1/2 years since we graduated, we've drifted apart. She's in Ohio; I'm in Nebraska. Our relationship now amounts to a Facebook message here and there. It's largely my fault, as I haven't made much of an effort to stay in touch. Most of the time, I don't really think about it. But then I go through a box of stuff, and our whole friendship comes flooding back. And I realize that I really do miss her.

This is what I found in the box: During the spring semester of our junior year, Jodi decided we needed to be creative. She had some water colors, and we spent a couple evenings painting. While she was being quite creative, I was painting Simba. I think I stayed in the lines very well! My journal tells me that the night I painted Simba, we stayed up talking until 5:30 a.m. I miss that, although I wouldn't be able to function if I stayed up that late now!

A few weeks later, we painted again. This time, I actually started with a blank paper. (I don't remember, but Jodi probably convinced me that painting Simba didn't count as creativity!) So here is my masterpiece; trust me, it's as artistic as I get!

7 comments:

  1. LOL! that's awesome. I'm sure they found many other treasures down there as well. So fun to remember, I mean really remember. And way too easy to forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like both you and Beth have been reminiscing a bit lately! I love reading your blogs! M

    ReplyDelete
  3. It should have been obvious, but I never thought about it before...we have the same personality profile! I guess that's why we always got along so well! I actualy could be an INTJ, depending on the day...I've had both results. But it's kinda funny, 'cause Paul is an INTJ, too! Birds of a feather, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shadows along the JOE!!!!!!!! A classic along the lines of Gall that Litters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd forgotten about that one! I'm sure I don't have it anymore . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, what a precious post! Aren't memories a great thing?! Nice job on the painting; that's very cool!

    I plan on doing some digging around in my parents' basement this weekend. I'm not looking forward to it, but maybe I'll find some gems like you did. I know I'm missing an entire box of books, and I assume it's got to be SOMEwhere in their basement! No Shadows Along the Joe for me though!

    Any chance that issue of the Sounding Board included my infamous article or letters to the editor about it? Hopefully I saved some of that, and maybe I'll find it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Several things:
    1.)That is funny your sisters called said "Joe" instead of "Ice". THAT is exactly how I read it at first. It makes a little more sense now that I know it's "Ice". :)

    2.)I SO remember that Simba picture!

    3.)It doesn't surprise me that you are an ISTJ, I am an ISFJ. No wonder we have so much in common! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...