September 4, 2008

thursday thoughts

A smattering of the things I've been thinking about today:
  • Why do I always feel compelled to use my nice, 12-cup coffee maker whenever I want coffee? The instructions say not to make fewer than six cups at a time, so I always make that much and then have two or three cups left over to get nasty. I have a coffee maker designed for travel mugs . . . so why don't I just use that? Maybe because the 12-cup lives on the counter, and the travel maker stays in the cupboard. Guess I'm just lazy . . .
  • After my post about Google Reader, The Omaha Critic stopped by to leave a comment. So I should tell you that I did enjoy his blog. If you like food (and who doesn't!), you should check it out . . . but I still can't figure out why Google Reader recommended it!
  • I think my landlord is trying to prevent a lawsuit. I came home tonight and noticed a neon orange line on the sidewalk. At first I thought the phone or electric company was marking something. Then I noticed two similar lines--all in areas where the sidewalk is uneven.
  • How can I become more productive during the day? I feel like I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off--class, office, class, lunch (in the office), class, office--and I'm not accomplishing much amidst all the running.
  • I just learned, thanks to Food Detectives on the Food Network, that the average Thanksgiving dinner has 3,000 calories. Yikes! Also, if you get gum stuck in your hair, you should use corn oil to get it out.
  • I'm no fan of Rudy Giuliani, but his speech at the convention last night sure cracked me up.
  • Gloria Steinem ticks me off. (Some of you are saying, "Duh!" right now.) She wrote an opinion piece for today's L.A. Times, in which she says that Sarah Palin "opposes everything most other women want and need." Um, yeah. Ms. Steinem certainly didn't ask me what I want and need. I think what Steinem means is that Palin is pro-life and pro-abstinence, so she must be anti-woman. Does Steinem really believe that most women are pro-choice? I'll give her that most of the women she knows would be offended by Palin, but most women period? I don't think so. (Off topic, but a fun little tidbit about Steinem: she used to be married to Christian Bale's dad.)
  • Cal Thomas, on the other hand, said, much more eloquently than I could, pretty much what I've been thinking ever since Bristol Palin's pregnancy was announced.
  • I have a great group of kids in yearbook. Granted, we haven't actually started working on pages yet, but we're having fun getting to that point. Yearbook was the most dreaded part of my schedule, but so far, it's one of the best parts of my day!
  • Sam's Choice Decaf Coffee is surprisingly good.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha, this is totally my style of a blog! :)

    That's pretty cool that you got a comment from Omaha Critic!

    Funny about the spraypainted lines!

    Rudy was totally rockin' it last night, and I've decided I want to be Sarah Palin when I grow up. Great link to the Cal Thomas article!

    Lastly, you know I have to respond about coffee. I don't know if you noticed, but I have TWO coffee makers on my counter. One 4 cup which I use almost all the time. And one 12 cup that I only use when I have company. I too am lazy so I don't want to have to swap them, so I keep them both there. And I just can't stand the thought of using the 12 cupper to only make 3-4 cups for myself! And I never ever knew it was recommended that you don't make fewer than 6 cups, how interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...