June 2, 2008

adventures with stephanie


My parents and Val went to Kansas for the weekend, so Steph stayed with me. Most of the weekend was rather uneventful, yet quite relaxing. Then Sunday evening arrived. Let me back up, though.

Saturday, we had a wedding to go to. It was actually a "blessing of the marriage" ceremony, as the couple has been married for a year and a half. So we got all dressed up and ready to go . . .

. . . then, halfway to Grand Island, we decided we really didn't want to go. Neither Steph nor I was very close to the bride (and I know the groom only as my substitute UPS man), so we ditched the wedding and went shopping! I've never been that dressed up just for shopping before, but it was actually kind of fun. We hit Walmart, Shopko (fan sale!), Skagway and SuperSaver (grocery stores), and Hobby Lobby (for a cross stitch project I'm working on), and ended with dinner at Fazoli's, where the guy at the counter was jealous of my Barnes & Noble credit card. We were sad that Fazoli's has gotten rid of their breadstick guy ("Hot and fresh, enjoy!"), and now you have to ask for more breadsticks at the counter.


I had lunch at "The Queen" (Dairy Queen) with my grandma and uncle after church, did laundry, put a roast in the crock pot for supper, and hung out with Steph for a while. Then, at 7 p.m., I got the call. Mom, Dad, and Val were in Belleville, Kansas, and they needed us to rescue them. After picking up the donut out of their other Buick (yes, they own two old blue Buicks), we headed off. In York, we drove through McDonald's--Mom called before we'd had a chance to eat.

Ten minutes later (10 minutes in a drive thru???), we were on our way again, singing to old school dcTalk at the top of our lungs. A few minutes later, Val called: "We just wanted you to know that a trucker stopped to pick us up. He attached the car to the hitch, and we're all in the cab with him. He's turning at Hebron, so he'll drop us off at the gas station." Steph and I got a great laugh at this, picturing Mom, Dad, and Val squeezed into the cab with the trucker. We were pretty sure that Mom wasn't enjoying herself!

When we arrived at Hebron, Val started to tell us of their adventure. Then she stopped, started doing what can only be described as a happy dance, and squealed, "I got you! I got you good! There is no trucker! A-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!" Steph wasn't amused.

Dad put the donut on (that car's donut was already on the car!), and we caravaned home. In the rain. Because why would we have a day with no rain?

1 comment:

  1. GREAT post!!

    I love that you 2 decided on the way to the fake wedding that you just weren't gonna go.

    Yea for shopping (ShopKo!!) and Fazoli's. I'm back on a Fazoli's kick after abandoning them for years. And did you know why there is no longer a breadstick person meandering in the dining room? They couldn't afford him. They tried charging a quarter per breadstick for awhile! Which made my distance towards the place grow even further. I talked with a friend of mine who manages one and said "Seriously, what's the deal with charging for the breadsticks?!?" He said they realized their error, but would have to compensate with losing the breadstick passer outer, and I personally am ok with that. When given those 2 options, I'd opt for the free one!

    It's pretty rare for McD's to be fast anymore. I spend too much time watching them make the sandwiches and stuff and it grosses me out as I wait in line.

    Yea for old school DC Talk. Did I tell you my boss was kicking it with old school DC Talk the other day? "Da, da, da, down with the DC Talk!"

    I love picturing your family in the cab of the truck; that's awesome!! (even though it didn't happen...)

    Lastly, you both look lovely! I like your makeup and Val's nail polish! And I especially like the photo of you with the pasta!

    Ok, this comment was WAY too long. You owe me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...